Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What I've Been Playing

For lack of anything better to post, here's what I have been playing lately and my thoughts on each game. Woo, effort!

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit - I didn't like this game at first. I thought the AI was total cheating bullshit. The rubber banding was pretty ridiculous. I just could never catch up with the other guys. Then I read a tip on the loading screen that says drafting guys is almost as good as boosting. So I drafted everyone and I couldn't believe what a difference it makes. It's kind of retarded how effective it is, but whatever. I am enjoying the game now but it's still not as fun as Burnout Paradise.


Mass Effect 2 - There are parts of this game I really like, but overall I just can't get into it. I think my main problem is that all the aliens talk and act just like humans. Where's Chewy, or those bug things from District 9? Most of the designs don't do anything for me either. It feels like a bad episode of Star Trek. You know, like the one where they went to the planet where everyone was a talking garbage can, then Data and Geordi switched brains. It's a shame too because the writing and voice acting is pretty good all around. Your party members are all entertaining and cool, especially Garrus. Dude is so fucking cool. I'll be coming back to this one periodically to try and finish it.


Little Big Planet 2 - What is there to say? It's like the first game, but different. There's lots to do, and more annoying characters that won't shut the hell up. Overall though it just feels too similar. The controls are still sucky, and co-op still turns into a frustrating mess with more than 2 people. You still have to collect every piece and sticker hidden in the levels to use them in create mode. Despite all this, the levels in the campaign are very impressive looking and the new powerups are fun to use. The new minigames are neat too, the mouse racing one is a hoot.


Dead Space Extraction - This game is way better than it has any right to be. Despite being a rail shooter, it's pure Dead Space all the way through. The controls are excellent on PS3, and it's by far my favorite Move game. Not bad for a Wii game repackaged as a bonus for Dead Space 2. What I like most though is that it actually has a coherent plot so far. There's a lot of voice acting and it's always entertaining. It sort of follows the reverse of the events in Dead Space 1, and it's very neat to see how things went down on the colony. A++ would recommend.


Final Fantasy 13 - I have been picking away at this one for a while now. I am like 4-5 hours in so far and really enjoying it. I know I am putting my balls on the line here, but it is a good game. I can't tell you how surprised I am to say that. I haven't enjoyed a FF game in a long time, and based on the character designs and new battle system/lack of dungeons I was ready to fart all over this game. Despite all this it remains enjoyable and I don't even know why.

The world is so bizarre, I never know what's going to happen next. The characters are various levels of annoying, except for Sazh. He's like the Danny Glover of Final Fantasy. Crazy anime shit happening all around him and he is just trying to get by. He is probably my favorite FF character for the fact that he is pretty much a normal guy, except with a bird living in his afro. It's japan, what did you expect?

No comments:

Post a Comment