Sunday, June 27, 2010

WTF Japan? - Metal Wolf Chaos

If you're like me you've probably asked yourself at least once, "What are 2 things that Japan has a huge boner for?" Giant fighting robots and America, of course! I guess it was just a matter of time before someone had the idea to combine them. And this unholy union bestowed upon us Metal Wolf CHAOS!!!!

All the games I've posted so far have been awful, or at least cringe worthy. This is the first entry in this segment that is WTF in a good way. Sadly it's also the only one I couldn't get my hands on a copy to play. I know, I know. I am a huge disappointment. Just ask my parents. But I still couldn't pass up a chance to talk about this amazing game.

Like the plot of any good Harrison Ford movie, this game follows the President of the great United States of America as he pilots a giant fighting robot into space and blows shit up in an effort to defeat his vice president who has staged a coup d'etat. Sound awesome? You have no freaking idea.

This game was made by From Software who brought us great mecha games like Armored Core and Chromehounds. The game looks like a crazier, more fun version of Armored Core. I'm actually very surprised it never got a North American release, as the game includes full english voice acting as well (It's terrible though).

I'm really not sure why Japan is so fascinated by the country that dropped a few nuclear bombs on them half a century ago, but I'm glad it leads to hilarious stuff like this. It's over the top in all the right ways. It doesn't even seem like a parody, these guys really do think the president is an ungodly ass-kicking machine.

But enough talk, check out this video, RRRIIIICHARD!!!

2 comments:

  1. When I first played a Mech game it was MEch Warrior for the PC. It wasn't until Armored Core that I played a more fast version of this genre.

    I gotta say that I like the slow lumbering beast of a robots over the sleek quick moving techno japan bots.

    Here's to me waiting for the Next Mech Warrior where I can shoot out peoples legs playing online while people are screaming,"FUCKING LEGGERS" at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha oh man, so true. I am way too excited for the next Mech Warrior game. It needs to have good physics though so you can actually stomp over and crush everything.

    That's the problem with japanese robots. Too much flying not enough crushing!!

    ReplyDelete