Thursday, December 9, 2010

Best Game That's Not a Game

Despite some rough edges, Heavy Rain is an incredible experience. It managed to get my pulse racing like very few games ever have before. It's something totally unique on the PS3 and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit more compelling than shooting nazis or collecting coins.

I hesitate to call it a game though, because there is very little in terms of actual gameplay. It's basically a long quicktime event, which people would usually classify as a cutscene. I'd love to see more interactive fiction like it though.

I just hope they work on the fiction part, because Heavy Rain's story was hugely inconsistent. The characters were all likable and well written, but there were plot holes big enough to fly a SR-71 through. And don't get me started on the ending, what a kick in the balls.

Regardless, it's still a great ride while it lasts. And while I don't see it as the future of video games, I wonder if it is the future of movies...

No comments:

Post a Comment