Now that Team Fortress 2 is free forever, the servers are being flooded with noobs. If you just downloaded the game to see what the fuss is about, you're probably pretty confused by it all. That's understandable. This is PC gaming after all. Nothing can be simple. But fear not, little nooblets for Big D is here with lots of handy advice to transform you into a perfectly mediocre TF 2 player!
1. Take a moment to configure controls. It's ok if you don't know what every button is supposed to do yet. Get an idea of what button does what and change any that you think will be a problem.
2. Configure your server browser. I usually check the boxes to show only games that are not full, have people in them and aren't password protected. A latency of under 200 is also pretty essential. Setting max player count to 24 is a good idea as 32 player servers tend to devolve into a clusterfuck.
3. Watch the map intro movies (If the map has one). This will give you a good idea of what you're supposed to be escorting or capturing.
4. Try every class. You'll have plenty of time to pick a favorite. Just try each one and get a feel for how they move and what weapons they have available. This will also help you in knowing how to deal with them.
5. Learn more about each class. A lot of classes have little tricks that aren't immediately apparent. For example, Pyro's air blast can launch people, deflect rockets and put out burning team mates. Watch videos on youtube or read some of the various guides out there. Start with the classes that interest you most. It's worth learning about every class though because again, it will help you know their tricks so you can deal with them.
6. Start by playing defense. There's no quicker way to get frustrated by running into sentry turrets or sticky bombs over and over. Don't feel bad about hanging back and patrolling the base. It's important to protect the intelligence or control points. You can help engineers by shooting/burning everyone that comes near their turrets in case they are a spy.
7. Stick with team mates. It's almost like this is a TEAM based game or something?! Once you get the hang of a few classes, you're ready to move up with your team. You can help by watching their backs for spies or anyone else who manages to flank them. When someone gets an ubercharge, push forward with them if you are able to.
8. Learn the maps. Playing each map a couple times should give you a general feel for the layout. You might miss some secret alternate routes or health/ammo pickups though. It's worth spending some time in an empty server or making your own so you can explore each one.
9. Know when to fold 'em. This is a hard lesson. If you are outnumbered, or low on health, or staring down a pissed-off ubercharged heavy, there's only one thing to do. Run away like a little baby. Find some health and/or ammo, call a medic and regroup with your team.
10. Configure advanced options. There's a tab at the bottom of the main menu screen with loads of advanced options for each class. Once you've played for a bit you're likely to have an idea of what they do. Some of these can be pretty helpful. Under the regular options, the keyboard tab has it's own advanced options. One of these is quick weapon switching, which is super useful. Why it can't be with the other advanced options...God only knows.
And there you have it! Follow these 10 easy steps and you'll be better than Jaison in no time. More miscellaneous tips may come later if I feel like it.