Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Games I Like - F.e.a.r. 2 : Project Origin

This has to be the most unappreciated game of 2009. I blame the retard who thought it was a good idea to release it in the same month as over-hyped Killzone 2. Luckily I'm here to set you straight and tell you how much ass this game really kicks. (Namely Killzone 2's)

You play as Sgt. ahhhh...hmmm...whatever the fuck his names is, on a mission to take the president of Armaham (evil corporation) into protective custody, 30 min before the explosion that ends the first game. This is probably my biggest problem with the game, if you're like me and didn't play the first Fear, they really don't explain what's going on very clearly. Basically there's a couple of military factions to shoot and a psychic psychopath called Alma to take down. But all in a day's work for Sgt. what the fuck right.

Muddled back story aside, it's really the great mix of action and horror that propels you though the game. It's like the suspense of a Dead Space mixed with the action of a Call of Duty. I'm still surprised how well they blend together.


The best part is when you get to drive an armored mech. This actually put me off the game at first. Not that driving around in a giant suit of armor, blowing the hell out of shit isn't awesome. But games where mechs aren't the main focus rarely pull them off well. Fear 2 on the other hand is not one of them. The mechs control great and look even better. Little things like the way the HUD powers up, to the grain on the screen really makes you feel like you're in one of those giant metal beasts.


Which brings me to the art design. It's hard to put my finger on why but I really like art style in this game. Nothing in it particular stands out about it aside from the incredible special effects. It must be the way it blends sci-fi, with horror, with everyday places. No one element over powers the other or feels out of place.

Anyway I could probably keep raving about this game forever but I'll spare you for now. Check out this trailer to see what I'm talking about.

4 comments:

  1. I also liked the armored mech, although I only played the demo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit jaison you forgot the best part! Bicycle kicking dudes in the junk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't figured out how to do that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Run, jump and melee in the air! Also I wanted to add that one reason the game appealed to me is that it didn't come off as gimmicky.

    Yeah you can slow time and pilot mechs, and I guess the "creepy little girl horror" aspect could be considered a gimmick, but it all came together really well and no particular element stole the show.

    ReplyDelete