Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Manual Memorandum

With EA joining the list of companies no longer printing manuals for their games, I'd just like to give a salute to the manuals of old. I remember the days when PC games all came in giant boxes and had a manual the size of a phone book.

Not only that, but many of them required you to keep this massive thing on hand because their anti-piracy measure usually required you to turn to a certain page and type in a key word to start the game. Besides explaining how to actually install and play the game, lots of manuals had a ton of backstory and lore about the game's universe, which was nice and made you feel like you were getting something more for your money.

I even remember taking my Diablo manual to school to read during reading period sometimes. Yeah, I got beat up a lot as a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment